Re: udev problems

On Mon, Oct 16, 2006 at 06:39:03PM -0500, Dinesh Bhat wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> Our drivers used to work fine with the older kernels. I am currently
> running 2.6.17 on fedora core 5 and all the /dev entries (related to the
> card) vanish after reboot. I understand that udev should dynamically be
> able to create the device nodes upon the installation of the driver. I
> read everything possible about the differences between devfs and udev.
> udev, by document description, should automatically create device nodes,
> but it doesn't. Is there a workaround? I do have mkdev program that
> creates the device nodes. But that needs to be executed everytime
> there's a reboot. I do not even want to keep a script that runs during
> the boot. I would like to modify our driver code so that it works on all
> the newer sources without having to fiddle around with it.

See the book, "Linux Device Drivers, third edition", (free online) for
the section entitled udev.  It should be a good start for what you need.
Please note that the kernel apis have changed since the book was
written, but the general idea is the same.

If you have specific questions about which proper function to call after
reading that section and trying it out, please let us know.

thanks,

greg k-h