Re: Userspace <-> communication

On Wed, Oct 11, 2006 at 09:01:07PM +0530, Jinesh K J wrote:
> I'm not good at all in drawing so let me try to explain in simple
> words. I have an NIC. From the NIC, I'll transfer data to the memory
> of an an FPGA based board. That board will then provide us with the
> processed data which will be then passed to a userspace application.
> The application after doing further processing passes it back to the
> kernel, then to the FPGA board and then again to the NIC.
>
> Two things are must:
>  -  The processing by FPGA based board
>  -  Further processing by some userspace application
>
> So, what do you think?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jinesh.
What is the userspace app? If I were you I would keep things in the kernel since FPGA are such slow things...

I think u have to directly manipulate your packet data from the FPGA memory.

What does the FPGA device do? And why are you so insistent on userspace?

The context switch overhead between userspace and kernel is just too high to justify your stance...

regards,
Girish