Re: Userspace <-> communication

On 10/11/06, Girish Venkatachalam <girishvenkatachalam@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Wed, Oct 11, 2006 at 07:41:46PM +0530, Jinesh K J wrote:
> You are right. I want to do the entire stuff in user space. So, let me
> add one more requirement. I need to get the packets from the NIC, move
> them to some other device memory (which can do its own processing upon
> it) and get it back from there. The data thus received will be given
> to userspace. The case with transmission also remains the same.
What device memory? What are you trying to do?

Why dont u draw an ASCII block diagram so things get clarified in ur mind as well for everyone else in the list?

I'm not good at all in drawing so let me try to explain in simple
words. I have an NIC. From the NIC, I'll transfer data to the memory
of an an FPGA based board. That board will then provide us with the
processed data which will be then passed to a userspace application.
The application after doing further processing passes it back to the
kernel, then to the FPGA board and then again to the NIC.

Two things are must:
 -  The processing by FPGA based board
 -  Further processing by some userspace application

So, what do you think?

Thanks,

Jinesh.