Re: Userspace <-> communication

On Wed, Oct 11, 2006 at 07:41:46PM +0530, Jinesh K J wrote:
> You are right. I want to do the entire stuff in user space. So, let me
> add one more requirement. I need to get the packets from the NIC, move
> them to some other device memory (which can do its own processing upon
> it) and get it back from there. The data thus received will be given
> to userspace. The case with transmission also remains the same.
What device memory? What are you trying to do?

Why dont u draw an ASCII block diagram so things get clarified in ur mind as well for everyone else in the list?

> The other thing is that I won't be moving the data again to the
> network stack. Any kind of processing would be done in userspace.
> Since, I do not have anything to do in network stack, that overhead
> can be avoided right?
No, you are wrong. Network stack is not some kind of entity which you have to avoid. :-)

If you mean processing overhead, then you may save something,not much.

Most strategies employed for optimisation often end up introducing bugs or making things worse.

I suggest you go back to the drawing board, figure out what exactly you want to do, compare alternatives and stuff.

I would suggest directly accessing packets thro' DMA if that is possible.

Best,
Girish