RE: Copying installed apps to other machines without re-installing

Thanks for the advice. I am running Ubuntu (based on debian) but I did not
explicitly use rpm to install. I installed the apps using the command "sudo
apt-get <app name>". However, your note about rpm database is valid and I
think that it may be the same on Ubuntu since there is a "add/remove
programs" application that keeps track of what's installed. So maybe I will
have to download them all again :-(

If it kept the .tar.gz2 files somewhere then I wouldn't have a problem as I
normally prefer to get my apps this way. This allows me to re-install them
later or intall them on another machine without having to download again.