Re: Flow Control when forcing Speed and Duplex

kewlemer wrote:
kewlemer wrote:
> I was looking at an Intel 8254x driver and noticed that when Speed and
> Duplex are forced, Flow Control is turned off.
>
> Can anyone tell me why ?
I again looked at
many other Intel chips today and saw that all of them use the same
code. More details :-

1. All the 8254x (Gigabit Ethernet Controller) drivers here:-
http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scripts-df-external/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&Inst=Yes&ProductID=983&DwnldID=9180&strOSs=39&OSFullName=Linux*&lang=eng
use the same driver.

2.  Please refer the function  e1000_phy_force_speed_duplex() here to
see what I am referring to :-
http://gsu.linux.org.tr/~mpekmezci/kernelapi/unitedlinux/drivers/net/e1000/e1000_hw.c.html
The first comment in this function is what I am referring to.

BTW - LXR is a more convenient way to browse all of linux, rather than just drivers.
and you can give line-numbers :)
http://www.linux-m32r.org/lxr/http/source/drivers/net/e1000/e1000_hw.c#L2000

Ok - thats much more info -
its now clear that intel developers intended to do that.
Id have to assume that they know what theyre doing.

So,  why did you look there ?
what kind of problems led you to turn over that particular rock ?
IOW- what problem are you having ?