Re: Disabling IRQs

On Wed, 24 May 2006, Erik Scharwaechter wrote:

I seem to recall reading somewhere that the interrupt input on x86 CPU's
are edge sensitive rather than level sensitive, which throws the above
Indeed, I assumed the INTR interrupt input line to be edge-sensitive.

Using Google, I found out the following:
recognized later, even if they are negated before being recognized. The
four level-sensitive interrupts (BUSCHK#, R/S#, INTR, and STPCLK#) must be

So it seems that INTR on the CPU is level sensitive. However, there is always some sort of interrupt controller between an external device and the CPU (originally, one or two 8259 chips) which also has its say in how things are handled.

Does anyone on the list know offhand how the interrupt controller affects the interrupt signal logic?

/Ricard