Re: A question about /usr/include/linux

On 5/19/06, MHD.Tayseer Alquoatli <idoit.ief@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 5/19/06, Fawad Lateef <fawadlateef@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I think am not able to understand your question correctly; If you are
> asking for how to provide include files found in /usr/include/linux
> for specific embedded system then I am not 100% sure about it, but I
> know that /usr/include/ directory contains 'header files' needed for
> compiling user space source code and /usr/include/<package_name>
> provides application specific header files. So, /usr/include/linux
> actually provides header-files for applications dealing with Linux
> Kernel and if you embedded system or processor supports running Linux
> then you can use those found in your normal distribution (might be
> provided with the tool-chain specific for that embedded system)

 Thanks Fawad ..
 yes this is the case .. if i have an ARM based embedded system, and i'm
building the linux distribution which will run on it .. from where the
header files under /usr/include/linux will be provided .. more specifically
.. which package/s is going to provide files in /usr/include/linux if it
wasn't the kernel it self

Hummm, for building linux distribution for embedded systems I think
you at-least need three types of packages to create:

1- rootfs
2- linux kernel
3- user space tools and utilities (also header files found in /usr/include/)

Kernel won't provide you those user-space header-files, so you need to
consult how-to create own linux distributions
(http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/ can give you good help) and you can
also consult other open-source/free embedded system
tool-chains/distributions (like http://snapgear.org/ it also provides
ARM based tool-chains)

I hope this helps.

--