Re: Need for tutorials

On 4/29/06, taha hafeez <tawushafeez@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Fri, 2006-04-28 at 10:01 -0700, Brian Cavagnolo wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > I have been following the mailing list for more than one month and I
> > would like to share my point of view.
> >
> > I feel (may be i am wrong!!!) that there is a need for tutorials to help
> > build the basis for the newbies so that they are competent enough to
> > understand the mailing list....
>
> Whenever I start digging into another driver subsystem I feel the same
> way.  However, when I start pursuing the tutorial-level understanding,
> I generally have a hard time debugging whatever I'm working on.  At
> that point I read the available documentation, the source code, and
> perhaps an entire book and things come together pretty nicely.
>
> > If we present the basic tutorials, a newbie like me can take a month or
> > two to go through them and then join the list.
>
> Hmm.  Like kernel programming boot camp.  Linux Device Drivers filled
> this role for me.  If you are still looking for a solid intro, I'd
> recommend building and running the sources described in this book.  It
> really helps to demystify some important pieces of the kernel.
>
> > I always thought there will be more "friendly" material on linux than on
> > windows. Although for administration of linux one finds a lot of
> > material but for a programmer one finds himself in a group of highly
> > skilled programmers lacking an _expression_ (sorry to be rude!!).
>
> What could be more friendly than the source code:)  ?  I'll plug LDD
> again.  It's available online free of charge and is very approachable.
>  You will need decent C programming skills to understand it, but you
> don't need to be an OS theory guru.  Good luck!
>
> Ciao,
> Brian

THANKS TO ALL FOR THE REPLY

May be because I am from a windows "environment" I am facing these
difficulties. (I am using the term "environment" for the kind of
tutorials, easy pickings, examples present there)

actually the friendliness you see at windows environment is only available at the amateur level, try some real professional work "well engineered, well designed, handling both functional and non-functional requirements" you'll see no friendliness anymore
it may sound strange for the first time .. thanks to Mr.Eric Raymond explaining the difference between UNIX environment and the others :

"Windows interfaces for 'professional' programming continued to grow more complex over time, presenting an increasing barrier to casual (or serious!) coding.

The result of this history is a sharp dichotomy between the design styles practiced by amateur and professional NT developers — the two groups barely communicate. While the hobbyist culture of small tools and shareware is very much alive, professional NT projects tend to produce monster monoliths even bulkier than those characteristic of 'elitist' operating systems like VMS."

Eric S.Raymond "The Art Of UNIX Programming"

I have already completed 13 chapters from LDD 3rd Edition (done all the examples
and I think I understand them well...)

I have read 5-6 chapters from The Robert Love book.
I have read a few chapters from Understanding the linux kernel

you're at the right road

But at the end of the day, I judge my progress with the mailing
list and I find myself struggling...

it just a matter of time .. remember that you are dealing with kernel level programming so there is a level of complexity to be introduced
try having some projects, even small ones it'll help you understand things better. Two collage projects for me helped me a lot
Finally, what you see on this mailing lists is questions about all kernel subsystems .. but you can see it clearly from the replies that there are always a group of hackers for each kernel subsystems. so don't judge your progress according to all topics in this mailing list

hope this helps

Soo many people not agreeing with me means I am somewhere wrong!
I will give it another shot.

Thanks again.

regards
taha