Re: Need for tutorials

On Fri, 2006-04-28 at 10:01 -0700, Brian Cavagnolo wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > I have been following the mailing list for more than one month and I
> > would like to share my point of view.
> >
> > I feel (may be i am wrong!!!) that there is a need for tutorials to help
> > build the basis for the newbies so that they are competent enough to
> > understand the mailing list....
>
> Whenever I start digging into another driver subsystem I feel the same
> way.  However, when I start pursuing the tutorial-level understanding,
> I generally have a hard time debugging whatever I'm working on.  At
> that point I read the available documentation, the source code, and
> perhaps an entire book and things come together pretty nicely.
>
> > If we present the basic tutorials, a newbie like me can take a month or
> > two to go through them and then join the list.
>
> Hmm.  Like kernel programming boot camp.  Linux Device Drivers filled
> this role for me.  If you are still looking for a solid intro, I'd
> recommend building and running the sources described in this book.  It
> really helps to demystify some important pieces of the kernel.
>
> > I always thought there will be more "friendly" material on linux than on
> > windows. Although for administration of linux one finds a lot of
> > material but for a programmer one finds himself in a group of highly
> > skilled programmers lacking an expression (sorry to be rude!!).
>
> What could be more friendly than the source code:)  ?  I'll plug LDD
> again.  It's available online free of charge and is very approachable.
>  You will need decent C programming skills to understand it, but you
> don't need to be an OS theory guru.  Good luck!
>
> Ciao,
> Brian

THANKS TO ALL FOR THE REPLY

May be because I am from a windows "environment" I am facing these
difficulties. (I am using the term "environment" for the kind of
tutorials, easy pickings, examples present there)

I have already completed 13 chapters from LDD 3rd Edition (done all the examples
and I think I understand them well...)

I have read 5-6 chapters from The Robert Love book.
I have read a few chapters from Understanding the linux kernel

But at the end of the day, I judge my progress with the mailing
list and I find myself struggling...

Soo many people not agreeing with me means I am somewhere wrong!
I will give it another shot.

Thanks again.

regards
taha