Re: Verify Kernel Pointer

On 4/20/06, Talib Alim <talibalm@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> My module pass back pointer to user application when device is opened. From
> that point, user application request different services from my module.
>
> In order to avoid any lookup overhead, kernel virtual pointer is passed back
> to user application.

Kernel virtual address will not at all be accessable in user space and
not at all recommended. If you want to request different services from
driver, whydont u use IOCTL mechanisum, define you ioclt command and
use them. Kernel virtual address are greater than 3G where as user can
have maximum virtual address as 3G, correct me if I am worng.

Gaurav

> Talib
>
> >On 4/20/06, Talib Alim <talibalm@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > > A kernel virtual address is passed to my module. In order to avoid any
> > > chances of a crash, how can I verify  this pointer is pointing to a
> >mapped
> > > memory location.
> >
> >Can you elaborate more on this ?

-Gaurav