Re: UML user mode linux

On Fri, Mar 10, 2006 at 11:50:36 +0530, Surbhi Chitre wrote:
> First of all be aware that UML has some bugs like not waiting on some
> break points and just continuing.
> I wonder if that would be useful for you.

Yes, it would. Definitely.

> Give kdb a shot instead.

KDB requires two machines, serial wire between them...
Or a full hardware emulator, of course.

On the other hand user-mode-linux simply runs as normal process, it's
easy to run any number of them you need, can read host filesystem so you
can just have a config file and read it from the virtual machine, has
copy-on-write for it's root partitions, so running many instances still
does not need as much disk etc. It can also write the log to a host
file, which otherwise means more setup of the serial connection.

I have worked with UML quite extensively a few years back and the
debugging worked well -- you have to use the SKAS mode though -- the TT
works poorly.

						 Jan 'Bulb' Hudec <bulb@xxxxxx>