Re: cannot mount rootfs !!

On 2/25/06, Mark-Walter@xxxxxxxxxxx <Mark-Walter@xxxxxxxxxxx > wrote:
Hi,

I'am new to the kernelnewbies mailinglist but maybe I can help you a
little bit. ( A bad answer mail is better than no mail - IMHO).

thanks for answering :)

> not syncing "VFS: unable to mount rootfs on unknown  block (0,0).

I had the same with block (3,5). The problem was not to compile SATA as
I'am not having SATA.

i also have dropped SATA support from my kernel so this must  not be the prob.

You !!__SHOULD__NEVER__!! use a kernel with modules as it allow's attacker's to
install rootkit's, while loading a prepared kernel module from the
outside with less evidence that this is a criminalized host.

then compiling everything in  the kerenl image will make it big right?
and i read it in the Documentation that keeping kernel image size small is better as bigger images are slower and may even cause problems.

How are rootkits installed through modules. Can you elaborate. IMHO perhaps this is so because of the fact that you need to be a su to load a module but not a su to make a module. So even a non user can make a cruel module and you may accidentally load it as su.Is it so?

> my rootfs is (hd0, 10) and boot partition is (hd0,8) . though i tried grub's
> command line to lcoate the kernel and initrd ( which i made then using
> mkinitrd ) it still gave me error . I gave root=/dev/hda11 as root partition
but of no luck .

Just a workaround compile the kernel without module support and it will
work.
this will increase the size of kernel too much so i think i should leave this option.

--
play the game