Re: What is going on? Why is nobody handling this terrible spam situation??

On Wed, Jul 06, 2005 at 12:49:06 -0700, Usman S. Ansari wrote:
> Timur Tabi wrote:
>
> >Usman S. Ansari wrote:
> >
> >>Perhaps a better solution would be to
> >>1. Posting only from members of the list.
> >
> >I don't understand why so many Linux mailing lists are open to the
> >public.  It's just a magnet for spammers.
>
> Me too. If somebody is wants to learn or have his/her question answered,
> he/she can take extra step to become a member. They can always

No, really not. They must not be required to do this. It is not as much
problem for kernelnewbies, that is more for learning, but all the
linux-* lists are also used for bug-reporting and users who report bugs
must not be required to sign a list, especially such a high-volume one
as linux-kernel.

> unsubscribe latter if they do not want to receive emails and their
> question is answered. That is what I do with Fedora Core list.

You may be happy with it, but many other users won't be. Support lists
should never ever be closed.

						 Jan 'Bulb' Hudec <bulb@xxxxxx>