Re: UML support in 2.6

Thanks for the note, Chris and Andy.

> > So I want to know if any of you folks have successfully
> > used UML on 2.6.10?
>
> Yes it works. I have using it. I have wrote one article on "how build it
> on 2.6 and create a root_fs", but it will not help you, iit is in
> french.

After some more research, I figured that although the project home page -
http://user-mode-linux.sourceforge.net/
mentions that kernels after the 2.6.9 support UML, the vanilla 2.6.10
did not have it until I had patched it with the right patch from -
http://www.user-mode-linux.org/~blaisorblade/

Now that I have compiled that, is my doubt-
How do I get a ext3 root_fs running? I am asking this because the
suggested root_fs builder
http://umlbuilder.sourceforge.net/
does not list a new distro like FC3 that I am using and it doesn't
look like having support for ext3. And the pristine root_fs they have
is for RH7.2

> > Can anyone suggest an better alternative to using UML for testing my
> > changes to ext3 on 2.6?
>
> UML is a good start.. You could test your changes on root_fs file :)

How? Supposing I have ext3 root_fs running, I copy my modified ext3 to
the ../fs. directory in UML and compile another kernel in UML?

I just checked out QEMU and from the first look it seemed like vserver or Xen.

Thanks!
HC