Re: microsecond-resolution-for-2.6

Hi,
--- Erik Mouw <J.A.K.Mouw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> A: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top_post
> Q: Were do I find info about this thing called
> top-posting?
> A: Because it messes up the order in which people
> normally read text.
> Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
> A: Top-posting.
>
> A: No.
> Q: Should I include quotations after my reply?
>
> (Thanks GregKH :)
>
> On Tue, May 03, 2005 at 06:53:09AM -0700, prasanna
> wakhare wrote:
> > Please go through KURT, RTAI and RTLinux
> > documentation.
>
> You were asked why you think you need microsecond
> resolution. "Just
> read the documentation" is not an answer to that
> question.
>> Sorry for that if you felt i was harsh in answering
that. But i really mean the same thing by that answer
only i need to give link  which was my mistake
and following is the link:
http://www.ittc.ku.edu/utime/

> > And i just want to know whether such patch is
> already
> > exist for 2.6 kernel as the last seen patch is for
> > 2.4.18 which i am currently using.
>
> I just looked at www.rtai.org. Their live CD is
> upgraded to Linux
> 2.6.10, so that suggests there is a patch for 2.6.

I personnaly think that microsecond resolution patch
still needed for even the 2.6 kernel for executing the

task which needs just few microsecond and moreover
many such tasks are pending and eager for there turn
to come. For example i am simulating some hardware
which gives response in few microseconds.
Having a small timer interrupt at say every 100
microseconds is not overhead as once i calculated the
latency for such small timer handler which cames 2
microseconds which is negligible.
Again i dont mean to say such patch requires in linux
kernel itself but for some specific applications.
Or secondly for something like loading timer0 in one
shot mode with the value in which the tiemr needs o be
expired exactlt when application wants to execute.
And take this value in statistics of calculating
jiffies so executing timer handler at exactly 1ms
would not get affected. And that is what KURT UTIME
patch does.

Prasanna