Re: Modifying conf.grub:

The files in /root that begin in '.' are "hidden" files, like
configuration files or caches. The fact that desktop application
directories (.mozilla, .gnome, etc) shows that you are or have in the
past run a desktop session as root, which is _BAD_ and should not be
done.

The question about ext3 & ext2 is simple (google-worthy), ext3 is ext2
but with a file that adds journalizing abilities. (google it)

A LUG is a Linux Users Group, i.e. a bunch of people in your area who
also use linux. Seeing as how you're in a university, and in the
computer science division no less, finding your local lug should take
about 5.93 seconds of googling.