Re: Modifying conf.grub:

Quoting Ryan Sablosky <rsabo5@xxxxxxxxx>:

> I think that the files (if they are in /lost+found) are files that
> fsck found were damaged. Someone tell me if I'm wrong, but I believe
> having a file in directory means that the hard link that points to the
> inode was corrupted? Something is happening that is causing that.
>
> BTW, I think this is a list about kernel coding/hacking/et cetera.
> This seems like a question for your local LUG.

I ended up reinstalling linux and I found out that the extra files were
previously hidden until I asked the file browser to show the hidden files.  The
types of files are .gnome, .mozilla, .nautilus, etc and are in the /root
directory.  I did get a warning when reinstalling that it was unable to align
the partition or something but I think I've had that all along.  It mentioned
that the problem could be ignored but fixed after installation.  Anyway the
linux-2.6.5-1.358 doesn't have the extra start up operations that I was
concerned about but after I compiled and installed linux-2.6.11.8, that version
does this procedure making comments like starting run mode 3, run mode 5, and
checking for new hardware.  The only other times I've this is when I havn't
shut down properly and probably when I install new hardware, but I havn't done
that yet.
Could it be the way I compiled?  I found some where that I could do something
like this:

make clean
make mrproper
cp /lib/modules/2.6.5-1.358/build/.config .
make
make modules_install install

Clean and mrproper might nort be needed and I assume having modules_install and
install on the same line just does both at once.  I'm not too sure about the
make command because I'm still on Fedora Core 2 and I don't know if I should
still be using make bzImage and make modules.  If it's none of that that caused
it, could it be a new feature of the 2.6.11 that caused this or maybe a change
in the configurations.  I didn't make any, I just kept accepting the defaults
that worked for me before.

BTW, what's an LUG?