Modifying conf.grub:

I only had a very small partition for linux (7 or 8 GB, I think but I have a
load of junk I didn't need as well) and the kernels I'd been compiling had
filled it up.  I deleted a few old ones and tried to modify grub.conf to
correspond and I'm not sure it ended up right.  I finished building the
2.6.11.8 kernel and assumed that the make install would fix any mistakes.  The
kew kernel seems to boot (I'm using it now), but there's some extra messages
that are normally only shown if I didn't shut down properly and there seem to
be some extra files in the root directory that weren't there before; random
files/folders from elsewhere on the file system.  Maybe I'm  imagining things
but perhaps someone would notice if something was wrong with the grub file.  Or
maybe it's just some new features that have been added.

# grub.conf generated by anaconda
#
# NOTICE:  You do not have a /boot partition.  This means that
#          all kernel and initrd paths are relative to /, eg.
#          root (hd0,4)
#          kernel /boot/vmlinuz-version ro root=/dev/hda5
#          initrd /boot/initrd-version.img
#boot=/dev/hda
default=0
timeout=10
splashimage=(hd0,4)/boot/grub/splash.xpm.gz
title Fedora Core (2.6.11.8)
	root (hd0,4)
	kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.11.8 ro root=LABEL=/ rhgb quiet
	initrd /boot/initrd-2.6.11.8.img
title Fedora Core (2.6.9-AMF-1)
	root (hd0,4)
	kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.9-AMF-1 ro root=LABEL=/ rhgb quiet
	initrd /boot/initrd-2.6.9-AMF-1.img
title Fedora Core (2.6.9-prep)
	root (hd0,4)
	kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.9-prep ro root=LABEL=/ rhgb quiet
	initrd /boot/initrd-2.6.9-prep.img
title Fedora Core (2.6.5-1.358)
	root (hd0,4)
	kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.5-1.358 ro root=LABEL=/ rhgb quiet
	initrd /boot/initrd-2.6.5-1.358.img
title Windows XP
	rootnoverify (hd0,0)
	chainloader +1