Re: VFS implementation ?

Greg Freemyer wrote:

On 4/17/05, Perfect Stranger wrote:

Hi:
First of all .. thanks Jason .. you've been very helpful (both
technically and psychologically :) ) .. a VFS implementation is really a
new idea to me and  just have some partial time over two months to get
is done
Anyway .. hearing that someone has experienced something like what i'm
facing now makes it easier to face the problem
i've heared that the ext2 fs is somehow a little bit complicated to
start with so i'll take your advice and i'll get some knowledge about BFS
well .. what i knew about sb is that it contains the basic information
about fs geometry on disk, free spaces, allocated spaces .. and so on ..
the problem with it is that my parallel fs i'm working on does not
manage the low level details by it self .. it relies on the local fs of
the cluster's nodes for managing low level block details for file
storing and on a database for the directory structures ... so i find the
superblock concept misty in my case .. so what the sb could be in my case ?

Are you trying to layer a "Cluster FIle System" on top of an existing FS. ie. Take a ext2/3 FS on a single node and make it appear as a local FS on each node?

If so, you may also want to look at the CFS implementation in OpenSSI.
It does exactly the above.  I don't know how simple/complex the code
is.

I assume CFS is a layer that fits between the VFS and the ext2, but it
might fit between the kernel/userspace interface and the VFS.

FYI: The goal of CFS in OpenSSI is to have every node see the files on
the cluster FS with the same pathname, so it may be more complex than
what you need.

FYI2: data replication / failover is handled in OpenSSI but I don't
think it is part of the CFS layer.

Greg

Yes Greg .. my file system has something in common with the CFS but there are many features in CFS which i can ignore while studying the code .. i'll try to get use of it, Thanks
for all having missunderstanding the concepts of VFS and implementation issues i've found the following document very useful:

http://www.cse.unsw.edu.au/~neilb/oss/linux-commentary/vfs.html#toc1

I think it presents the concept in an easy way
MHD

-- Kernelnewbies: Help each other learn about the Linux kernel. Archive: http://mail.nl.linux.org/kernelnewbies/ FAQ: http://kernelnewbies.org/faq/