Re: VFS implementation ?

On 4/16/05, Perfect Stranger <gilmour@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi all:
> I've read about VFS in the "Understanding the Linux kernel" book .. and
> i've understand some of the ideas .. but each alone and the connection
> points between these ideas are lost
> can anyone help me by telling me from where to start ? what i have to do
> first ? and what next ?

Read the source code, of course :-) At least that's what I did. I'm
probably a little bit late but I would recommend to read ramfs first,
followed for example by minix fs. Moreover, if you're creating a block
device backed fs, consider having a look at parts of ext2 that call
functions from mpage.h.

AFAIK, all electronic documentation is outrageously outdated,
including Documentation/filesystems/vfs.txt in the kernel tree. What
is (hopefully) not outdated and worth looking at is
Documentation/filesystems/Locking.

Just my $0.02

Martin

PS: Yeah, it's not easy but at least you read the book. I started
without knowing anything and that's been an adventure I'm not really
through yet :-)