VFS implementation ?

Hi all:
I don't know if you are discussing such topics about file systems .. but i have some troubles get in touch with the linux fs-develop mailling list .. so i thought about the file system as a part of the kernel :)
I'm working on a semester project and it's about making a "parallel file system", it's semilar to the PVFS project that works on a cluster
It's consisting of three major parts:
1- Manager side
2- Nodes side
3- Client side
now i need to implement the VFS on top of the client side to integrate my fs into the system
I've read about VFS in the "Understanding the Linux kernel" book .. and i've understand some of the ideas .. but each alone and the connection points between these ideas are lost
can anyone help me by telling me from where to start ? what i have to do first ? and what next ?
Another question: It seemed to me that the VFS is not just an interface but there are some implemented parts in the VFS already exists, these parts have a generic form so it'll work with all file systems .. I don't know if this is right, but if it was .. where can i find the source of the VFS so i can add my fs specific implementation issues ?
Thanks in advance
MHD.

-- Kernelnewbies: Help each other learn about the Linux kernel. Archive: http://mail.nl.linux.org/kernelnewbies/ FAQ: http://kernelnewbies.org/faq/