PCI address space

Dear all,

I studied that every PCI peripheral has got 3 address spaces 1) Memory 2)I/O 3)PCI configuration space. Is it that PCI configuration space is within the PCI device where configuration registers are implemented?

when linux system boots,it detects PCI devices and will reads this configuration space and creates memory for the device in the PCI memory address space or in PCI I/O address space.

will the system memory has this PCI related address spaces and also will the linux kernel map the configuration registers into its PCI related space.How it will maintain the device related information.

I read that some configuration registers are filled by vendor and the others like base address register s filling is optional.Is it that if not filled the linux kernel will give the address and copies it to device configuration registers using kernel functions (pci_write_config)?

Please help me regarding this as I am working on a target board where the pci bus I am using to interact with the pci devices.

Thanks, indiraa.

-- Kernelnewbies: Help each other learn about the Linux kernel. Archive: http://mail.nl.linux.org/kernelnewbies/ FAQ: http://kernelnewbies.org/faq/