RE: A folish question

Hi Erik,
Thanks for your outstanding support.

> Quite some ARM chips have a built-in display controller. For example:
> the Digital/Intel StrongARM SA11x0 and the Intel PXAxxx have a
built-in
> LCD controller that can use a region of main memory as a dumb
> unaccelerated framebuffer.

I am using EBD9312.

> > The exact requirement here is to rotate the screen by 90 degree and
even
> > allow user to rotate the screen at his will.

> RANDR allows applications to be unaware of the direction, but if your
> applications are direction-aware, you can use the acceleration engine.

I just have a question here. Ok, assume at one point of time the user is
running GUI applications A & B. later I rotated the screen 90 using
RANDR. Now I open another GUI application C which is not direction
aware. Now, how will be the display of C?

> Guess what: RANDR was developed on ARM systems to allow users to
rotate
> their screen on Compaq Ipaq handheld devices :)
>
> > According to the documentation you provided, the RANDR will NOT
support
> > accelerated display feature. Also, as far as I know framebuffer
driver
> > will also NOT support the accelerated display feature.
> >
> > If I want the Accelerated display feature on my ARM unit, what is
the
> > way I can choose?
>
> First figure out if you have an accelerated display in the first
place.
> If it's a built-in framebuffer, there is simply no acceleration. Well,
> maybe you could abuse a DMA engine to do bitblt, but that's about what
> you can expect.
>
> If you have an accelerated display engine and you want acceleration in
> both directions, the only way is to do it yourself. RANDR allows
> applications to be unaware of the direction, but if your applications
> are direction-aware, you can use the acceleration engine.

So, u mean if I open an application that is not direction-aware, the
display of that application will be in the default direction which is
not what we want.

> Oh, and BTW: Use linux-2.6 on your ARM system. Linux-2.4 development
on
> ARM is very, very dead and there simply is no community support for
it.
> See the linux-arm-kernel mailing list archives.

The client requirement is specific to 2.4 because his release deadline
is nearing & he has all the applications for the device ready on 2.4 &
not on 2.6. However they will need it no 2.6 very soon.

Regards,
Mukund jampala