Re: A folish question

On Thu, Mar 10, 2005 at 11:15:52AM +0530, Mukund JB. wrote:
> Let me tell you my requirement in brief. I need to work on a small ARM
> based unit running Linux which has not yet reached me. The Linux on the
> board is required to be supported with the accelerated Graphics display.

Quite some ARM chips have a built-in display controller. For example:
the Digital/Intel StrongARM SA11x0 and the Intel PXAxxx have a built-in
LCD controller that can use a region of main memory as a dumb
unaccelerated framebuffer.

> The exact requirement here is to rotate the screen by 90 degree and even
> allow user to rotate the screen at his will.

Guess what: RANDR was developed on ARM systems to allow users to rotate
their screen on Compaq Ipaq handheld devices :)

> According to the documentation you provided, the RANDR will NOT support
> accelerated display feature. Also, as far as I know framebuffer driver
> will also NOT support the accelerated display feature.
>
> If I want the Accelerated display feature on my ARM unit, what is the
> way I can choose?

First figure out if you have an accelerated display in the first place.
If it's a built-in framebuffer, there is simply no acceleration. Well,
maybe you could abuse a DMA engine to do bitblt, but that's about what
you can expect.

If you have an accelerated display engine and you want acceleration in
both directions, the only way is to do it yourself. RANDR allows
applications to be unaware of the direction, but if your applications
are direction-aware, you can use the acceleration engine.

Oh, and BTW: Use linux-2.6 on your ARM system. Linux-2.4 development on
ARM is very, very dead and there simply is no community support for it.
See the linux-arm-kernel mailing list archives.

Erik

--
Erik Mouw
J.A.K.Mouw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx  mouw@xxxxxxxxxxxx