RE: A folish question

Hi Erik,

> The X server directly accesses the video chip. If there is no
> framebuffer device, it switches to the first free virtual console
> (usually /dev/tty7, as the first six virtual consoles have a login
> prompt) and programs the video hardware to go to the correct graphics
> mode.
>
> If there is a framebuffer device, the X server can either be told
> (through the configuration file) to use it and no graphics
> reprogramming is needed, or it can still do the switch to the correct
> graphics mode itself.
>
> In all cases, the X server watches the key presses, and if you press
> Ctrl-Alt-F1, it will reprogram the video chip to the previous state
(if
> necessary) and switch to virtual console 1.

Thanks for that elaborate explanation.

Let me tell you my requirement in brief. I need to work on a small ARM
based unit running Linux which has not yet reached me. The Linux on the
board is required to be supported with the accelerated Graphics display.
The exact requirement here is to rotate the screen by 90 degree and even
allow user to rotate the screen at his will.

According to the documentation you provided, the RANDR will NOT support
accelerated display feature. Also, as far as I know framebuffer driver
will also NOT support the accelerated display feature.

If I want the Accelerated display feature on my ARM unit, what is the
way I can choose?
What options do I have?

Regards,
Mukund jampala