Re: A folish question

On Tue, Mar 15, 2005 at 11:24:48AM +0530, Mukund JB. wrote:
> > RANDR allows applications to be unaware of the direction, but if your
> > applications are direction-aware, you can use the acceleration engine.
>
> I just have a question here. Ok, assume at one point of time the user is
> running GUI applications A & B. later I rotated the screen 90 using
> RANDR. Now I open another GUI application C which is not direction
> aware. Now, how will be the display of C?

Same direction as A and B. RANDR allows application to be direction
unaware.

> > If you have an accelerated display engine and you want acceleration in
> > both directions, the only way is to do it yourself. RANDR allows
> > applications to be unaware of the direction, but if your applications
> > are direction-aware, you can use the acceleration engine.
>
> So, u mean if I open an application that is not direction-aware, the
> display of that application will be in the default direction which is
> not what we want.

No. RANDR allows application to be direction-unaware, that is: the
applications shouldn't care about the display direction, RANDR will
make sure they are drawn the correct way.

What I mean with a direction-aware application, is an application that
knows about the display direction and that changes its way to redraw
itself. For example: with a normal display direction, you can scroll
vertically by memcpy()ing complete lines and redrawing the new lines. A
horizontal scroll would be implemented with a slower memmove(). A
direction-aware application knows that if the screen is rotated, it
should use memcpy() for horizontal scroll and memmove() for vertical
scroll.

> > Oh, and BTW: Use linux-2.6 on your ARM system. Linux-2.4 development
> on
> > ARM is very, very dead and there simply is no community support for
> it.
> > See the linux-arm-kernel mailing list archives.
>
> The client requirement is specific to 2.4 because his release deadline
> is nearing & he has all the applications for the device ready on 2.4 &
> not on 2.6. However they will need it no 2.6 very soon.

Weak argument. Linux 2.6 has ARM support merged since linux-2.6.1,
which is about a year right now. If you only now start thinking about
going to 2.6, you're pretty late. Note that the userland API hardly
changed, so you can run applications written for 2.4 on 2.6 without
problems.

Erik

--
Erik Mouw