Re: how to recover the kernel configuration in a running kernel without /usr/src

On Mon, Jan 17, 2005 at 16:15:32 +0800, #NGUYEN HOANG CHUNG# wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have a running kernel without any thing in /usr/src, all that I have
> now are the folder /lib/modules/x.x.x and bzImage, initrd-xxx.img...,
> and System.map.
>  I want to recompile the kernel to add only one module. Without .config
> file, it takes me several hours to go through all the options during
> configuring 'make xconfig'  however usually the one I get is not the
> same as the original, running one ( I am new in kernel). It causes
> potential problems when I run my existing applications (some modules )
>
> The options in configuration come with : Y (built in) , M (module), N
> (not included).

Recent /sbin/installkernel installs config along vmlinuz and System.map
in /boot. If you use make install to install kernel, you should have it
there.

Recent kernels have a special option, that compiles the config into the
kernel and it then appears somewhere in /proc. If you have turned on
that option, you should have it there.

Otherwise, you will have to build the kernel from scratch. Protect your
precious kernel config better next time!

> I think it is hard to recover .config file with only a few lines of
> command but I can do that work 'manually ' (with a pen and paper to jot
> down every option configured)

No, that's not hard. It's simply not possible. You could guess some
options by looking at the symbol listing, but not all of them.

						 Jan 'Bulb' Hudec <bulb@xxxxxx>