Re: kernel panic with insmod errors

Hi,

After installing 0.9.13 version of module-init-tools and recompiling
whole thing make modules_install did succeed with no errors. I did
make install and it copied the compiled image, System.map file to
/boot/ partition and also updated the grub.conf file (new initrd.img
is created too) . So far so good. Some of the docs are suggesting that
I create /sys and edit /etc/rc.sysinit file to mount /sys. Is it
really needed ? Will it create any problem if I want to boot my old
kernel (2.4.x-y). If there is a problem in booting to my newly
compiled 2.6 kernel I want to be able to go back to 2.4.x-y without
any problems.

Thanks,
Sarath