Re: kernel panic with insmod errors

Hi,

Please see inline ...

On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 10:02:27 +0530, ashwin.shirvanthe@xxxxxxxxx
<ashwin.shirvanthe@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Sarath Kamisetty wrote:
>
> >I downloaded 2.6.10 kernel source tarball and compiled it successfully
> >by doing the following:
> >
> >make xconfig
> >make mrproper
> >

> The make mr_proper removes the .config file as well so it must be done
> before xconfig/menuconfig
>
> >make dep
> >

> make dep is not needed now in 2.6 series
>
> >make clean
> >

> make clean is not required as make mr_proper takes care of all aspects
> related to cleaning
>
> >make bzImage
> >make modules_install (this one dumped bunch of depmod: errors about
> >

> You have to do a make modules before doing make modules_install
>
> >some symbols but copied the files properly to /lib/modules/2.6.xxx/)
> >cp arch/i386/boot/bzImage /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.xxx
> >cp System.map /boot/System.map-2.6.xxx
> >

> So in short follow this sequence for compiling
> The sequence to be followed.
> make mrproper
> make xconfig
> make bzImage
> make modules
> make modules_install

This is exactly what I am doing. I messed up the sequence in e-mail :(
make modules_install is dumping lot of depmod errors.

> Follow this by the copies you have done. i.e for bzImage and System.map
>
> >After that I have added an entry grub.conf file to point to my new
> >kernel. However, I am not sure about the initrd line so I just left it
> >unchanged (same as old entry I had already - so it was pointing to old
> >initrd.img file still).
> >

> after compiling the modules and installing them in  /lib/modules/2.6.xxx
> ( I have assumed 2.6.10 here assuming you have not added your
> extraversion in the Makefile)
> goto /boot partition and type the following
> mkinitrd initrd-2.6.10.img  2.6.10

This step is failing - I get the error message saying "No module
aic7xxx found for kernel 2.6.10-saratk" (saratk is my EXTRAVERSION in
Makefile)

> add the initrd line in grub.conf
> (Even if this is not done it should work with old initrd image)
>
> >After this when I rebooted, I chose the kernel that I just compiled
> >from the GRUB menu but while booting it, there were few insmod errors
> >and then kernel panics saying it was unable to mount the root fs (/).

> goto the /etc/fstab file
> you will find an entry
> /dev/hdaXX    /     ............
>
> I think you have a line
>        kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.10 ro root=LABEL=/
> replace it
>    kernel /boot/vmlinux-2.6.10 ro root=/dev/hdaXX
> where hdaXX is the partition for / in the fstab file

My /etc/fstab looks like this:

LABEL=/                 /                       ext3    defaults        1 1
LABEL=/boot             /boot                   ext3    defaults        1 2
none                    /dev/pts                devpts  gid=5,mode=620  0 0
none                    /proc                   proc    defaults        0 0
none                    /dev/shm                tmpfs   defaults        0 0
/dev/sda3               swap                    swap    defaults        0 0
/dev/cdrom              /mnt/cdrom              udf,iso9660
noauto,owner,kudzu,ro 0 0

and my grub.conf is like this:

default=0
timeout=10
splashimage=(hd0,0)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
title Red Hat Linux (2.4.20-8)
        root (hd0,0)
        kernel /vmlinuz-2.4.20-8 ro root=LABEL=/
        initrd /initrd-2.4.20-8.img
title Red Hat Linux (2.6.10-saratk)
        root (hd0,0)
        kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.10-saratk ro root=LABEL=/
        initrd /initrd-2.4.20-8.img

First entry was there earlier. I just copied it and changed the
"title" line and "kernel" lines. I guess you are suggesting to change
the kernel line to
"kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.10-saratk ro root=/dev/hda00", but there is no
/dev/hda00 entry in /etc/fstab file.

Thanks,
Sarath