Re: kernel panic with insmod errors

Sarath Kamisetty wrote:

Hi,

This is exactly what I am doing. I messed up the sequence in e-mail :(
make modules_install is dumping lot of depmod errors.

This step is failing - I get the error message saying "No module
aic7xxx found for kernel 2.6.10-saratk" (saratk is my EXTRAVERSION in
Makefile)

You have 2 problems.
1. compiling the modules
2. compiling the kernel

Regarding the modules.
This is the root of the problem for not having a successfull
make modules_install
Do you have the module-init-tools to compile the modules.
The modules are treated in a different manner in 2.6 series
Get module-init-tools for the 2.6 kernel and install
them.
The insmod depmod modrobe + .... of 2.4 series donot work
in 2.6 series.
_Read_ README before that.

My /etc/fstab looks like this:

LABEL=/ / ext3 defaults 1 1
LABEL=/boot /boot ext3 defaults 1 2
none /dev/pts devpts gid=5,mode=620 0 0
none /proc proc defaults 0 0
none /dev/shm tmpfs defaults 0 0
/dev/sda3 swap swap defaults 0 0
/dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom udf,iso9660
noauto,owner,kudzu,ro 0 0

and my grub.conf is like this:

default=0
timeout=10
splashimage=(hd0,0)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
title Red Hat Linux (2.4.20-8)
       root (hd0,0)
       kernel /vmlinuz-2.4.20-8 ro root=LABEL=/
       initrd /initrd-2.4.20-8.img
title Red Hat Linux (2.6.10-saratk)
       root (hd0,0)
       kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.10-saratk ro root=LABEL=/
       initrd /initrd-2.4.20-8.img

Regarding the kernel :
* Have you taken ext3 support in the kernel.
By default it is taken as a module.
* Compile the kernel and copy the bzImage to desired location
Have the following in the grub.conf file

title Red Hat Linux (2.6.10-saratk)
root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.10-saratk ro root=/LABEL=/

I presume you are copying the bzImage to /boot partition (as mentioned in
the previous mail) and not the / partition
kernel /XXXXXXXXXXXX
where XXXXXXXXXXXX is the path + file name of the zipped kernel binary
if you are copying bzImage in / please put /vmlinuz-....
Leave the initrd for the time being ,
once the modules are compiled you can create it.

* If this doesnt help
Run the mount command to find out which parition the LABEL / corresponds to
you should get the output as

/dev/XXX on / type ext3 (rw) [/]

My intension is to find out on which device is / located.
once you know the device /dev/XXX

title Red Hat Linux (2.6.10-saratk)
       root (hd0,0)
       kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.10-saratk ro root=/dev/XXX

Regards,
Ashwin