linux development system

Hi!

I'm really new on the kernel hacking. I've written a small OS to at simple Motorola 68xxx system. And that about all. Now I'm training to become a good kernel hacker. My first step is to try and learn about drivers.

My question to you is:
How do you setup your development system? Is it best to have two computers, one to code on and one to test on. Is it easer to use VMWare or Bochs? If you use VMWare/Bochs how do yo setup a good system with two linux kernels running on the same computer? Is it possible to "share" the same file system or do I have to use two different partitions?

Thanks very much in advance.
Erik Larsson