Re: linux development system

Well, I'm pretty new to all this too, but I know a little bit about
VMWare. If you like you can have VMWare create a single file on your
current filesystem that acts as the harddrive for the VMWare machine.
There are ways to access the hosts FS from within VMWare and the other
way around, but I haven't set that up myself. Haven't used Bochs, but
I would assume it is not that different.

You might want to look at UML (User Mode Linux). UML is a linux kernel
compiled to run along side an existing one. It also can use a file on
it's host's filesystem as a harddrive, but you're dealing with a
different kernel when you run UML, so depending on what you're hacking
on that might be a problem.

Also from what I've been reading it can be useful to have a second
system hooked up to the developmet system via a serial cable to catch
error messages that would otherwise be lost, or have to be written
down, but I haven't actually played with this myself either (laptop
doesn't have a serial cable).

Well I hope this helps a bit, maybe some more experienced hackers will
shed some additional light on the subject.

~Jake B