Re: File Descriptor

On Tue, Nov 30, 2004 at 04:17:23PM -0800, Usman S. Ansari wrote:
> Briefly, when a process opens my driver device special file, it can
> request certain optional services to be performed, whenever that
> particular descriptor call goes to the driver.

Do you have a pointer to your driver's source anywhere?

> These processes can stay there for long time.
>
> There is another operation (through ioctl of course) defined, which
> can
> kind of reset the card. Which means that all the open descriptors are
> still valid, but these process have to do login [login/out state
> maintained by driver] again.

You keep a pointer to your device local structure within the file
private pointer, right?  Just mark that structure as "invalid" or
something, which will force userspace to do that wierd stuff when it
next tries to do something else.

> At this point, I have a choice, I can tell the user that any operation
> after that is invalid, so they have to close all the fds (and reopen
> them), or I can cleanup data I have attached to private area of
> "struct file".

True.

Again, please stop top-posting.

thanks,