Re: File Descriptor

On Tue, Nov 30, 2004 at 03:40:06PM -0800, Usman S. Ansari wrote:
> In this particular situation, I would like to do some cleanup, without
> too much overhead.

What is the "situation"?  Why does the driver care about this?  All
other drivers do not, right?

> What I mean, there could be a situation in which we will tell our
> customer that "this senario can result in unpredictable results".

What is the senario?

> Therefore I do not want to go through (nor I have time) to make a
> list, maintain a list, etc, but if such a list is already maintained
> by the kernel, than I can quickly go and do cleanup

It's already maintained by the kernel, and cleaned up by the kernel if
userspace closes the device node, or the process goes away.  Nothing
special needs to be done in the driver.

What kind of driver are you talking about?

thanks,

greg k-h