Re: 2.6.9: no version for "struct_module" found: kernel tainted.

On Sun, 2004-11-28 at 17:47 +0000, Jon Masters wrote:
> On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 09:13:17 -0600, Timur Tabi <timur.tabi@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Arjan van de Ven wrote:
> >
> > > and you are loading your module in to ONLY the kernel you compiled with
> > > your new .config ?
> >
> > Well, not exactly.  I'm assuming that the .config file that was supplied
> > with Fedora is an exact match of the kernel that was installed.  Every
> > other distribution I've worked with provides the correct configuration
> > file, which eliminates the need for me to compile and load a kernel.
>
> You *have* to actually build the kernel with whichever configuration
> file you eventually figure out Fedora 3 is using. The kbuild modules
> process now requires a copy of the actual object files - it's not just
> sufficient to have a config file and headers installed somewhere. This
> is partly because the extra linking stages for modules really want
> some symbols defined during a kernel build.

you are incorrect. what fedora ships in /lib/modules/`uname -r`/build is
sufficient. And you *have* to use that.
If you build your own binary kernel there is *NO* guarantee of matching.
You *have* to build kernel modules to the *matching* headers. Those
headers are in  /lib/modules/`uname -r`/build . And nowhere else.