Re: kernel panic - not syncing: VFS

there can be two reasons for the error that you are getting:

1) Your root device i.e. your hard disk is not being detected properly
which may happen if you are using RAID and the drivers for RAID are
compiled in kernel or initrd image

or,

2) Your root filesystem is not being recognized by kernel. Possible
reasons: again filesystem support should either be compiled in kernel
or as modules inside initrd.

-Manu

--
Manu Garg