Re: kernel panic - not syncing: VFS

Hi Mauricio,

On Mon, 25 Oct 2004 21:58:21 -0300 (ART), Mauricio Lin
<mauriciolin2000@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I have downloaded the linux kernel using bitkeeper and
> compiled the kernel as a deb package. I installed the
> package I built and everything it seems to be okay.

Was there a reason that you built it as a .deb? Instead of installing
it directly, I mean?

> But when I boot the kernel on my laptop the following
> message is printed:
>
> kernel panic - not syncing: VFS - unable to mount root
> fs on unknown block(0,0).

I'm not sure, but I think this can happen when the root fs is not
compiled into the kernel.

> I have checked my grub file and it is okay. All the
> setup is done by the deb package. The initrd.img is
> also created by the deb package.

Have you made sure the correct partition is indicated in grub? You
know you don't need to use initrd if you don't want, right?

> Does anyone know what is going on? Have i forgotten
> anything else in the kernel configuration?

Maybe some of my questions will get you on the road towards a solution.

-Nish