Re: getting hardware details - pls help

On Sat, 23 Oct 2004 09:29:27 -0500, suresh ds <dssuresh66@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> In windows, one can always go the control panel and check what all devices
> are installed and the details about them.

[OT] ...and then try removing a firewire disk and reinsert it only to
find that it won't do that until I have actually unplugged my ipod
therefore not allowing me to do the equivalent of rmmod sbp2 and just
charge the ipod while listening to it (you can't play tunes while in
disk mode). Until Microsoft actually get their hardware stuff to do
basic things I can do with a shell, I'm not interested in anything
they have to offer :-)

> In unix/linux systems, how to find these?

Mostly through /proc and /sys with a little help from frontend
utilities such as lspci. Sometimes vendors have pretty GUIifications -
I've actually thought I clone of the Windows device management GUI
wouldn't be such a bad thing for desktop users who want to see their
devices, just like Apple don't need that GUI OF browser but have one
anyway.

> I'm learning to write a driver but don't know what PIC is present.

Why do you need to know this in order to write a portable device driver?

> The system BIOS detects all the peripherals/components and initialises them.

Nope. It'll assign PCI IDs and stuff like that, but that's about the sum of it.

> But the kernel (one booted up) stores these details in any file?

The kernel will provide information about devices it detects during
boot - however your statement above about PICs is concerning enough to
ask you to clarify what you're trying to do with the kernel?

> Pls answer

"Please", not "Pls". That's "text speak" and annoying enough at the
best of times on a mobile telephone.

Jon.