getting hardware details - pls help

In windows, one can always go the control panel and check what all devices are installed and the details about them. In unix/linux systems, how to find these? Well, I've not checked the linux desktop environment. My question is, whether these details are stored in any file in the directory tree or is it possible to see these thro' any shell command? For eg., I'm learning to write a driver but don't know what PIC is present. The system BIOS detects all the peripherals/components and initialises them. But the kernel (one booted up) stores these details in any file? OR the only way to find out these is to look at the screen(monitor) after the system is powered on and read those details as the BIOS prints message by message?

Pls answer

-suresh

Sign-up for Ads Free at Mail.com
http://www.mail.com/?sr=signup