Re: How to add teh device to /dev in linux

Hello,

> And after that used "mknod
> /dev/test c 234 0" to create the device in /dev folder.
> But I want to implement this driver as a part of kernel , How can i register
> the device in the /dev/ directory. I have tried devfs_register_chardevv
> function and also tried misc_register_de..... function but not getting the
> device name in /dev folder. Can anyone suggest me how to do it?

1. FYI, the driver and the device files are not the same thing. So for
getting your driver into the kernel, you dont need to get the device
into it.

2. The device files are not part of the kernel and thus you should not
try to do put it inside the kernel.  Having said that, this rule/law
did'nt hold true when devfs (which is what you are using) came into
the act but it is now deprecated in favour of udev (a user-space
utility) and should not be used anymore.  Please consult the
literature on hotplug and udev for further details.

"All over the place, from the popular culture to the propaganda
system, there is a constant pressure to make people feel that they are
helpless, that the only role they can have is to ratify decisions and
to consume." -- Noam Chomsky