Re: thread awareness of the scheduler

On Fri, 2004-10-15 at 03:18, matrix reloaded wrote:
> I don't understand here what is wrong with my notion. What I said is
> very clear, the
> OS can't access user-level thread, right ? so schedular can't schedule
> them ... I
> may be missing something, but this point is not wrong...
>
> if you can jot down some basic points for a user-level thread, then
> surely there is
> only thing at the top, and that's noting but the fact that "OS doesn't
> know about the
> user-level threads and thas why it can't schedule them seperately on
> multiple
> processors on SMP"...
>
> Please tell me where exactly I am wrong...

You are wrong with the assumption that NPTL is a user space
implementation. The kernel does keep track of the userland threads.

Check out http://people.redhat.com/drepper/nptl-design.pdf

Specifically section 5.1 (1-on-1 vs. M-on-N):

        "It need not be mentioned that kernel threads are used; a pure
        user-level implementation could not take advantage of
        multi-processor machines which was one of the goals listed
        previously."

--
Florin Malita <florin.malita@xxxxxxxxxxxx>