Re: Problem in calling System call [sys_mknod] in Kernel Module.

On Thu, 7 Oct 2004 14:52:21 +0200 (CEST), Jirka Kosina <jikos@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Tue, 5 Oct 2004, Jon Masters wrote:
>
> > Personally I think it would be nice to be able to modify it more easily
> > but that would require some redesign to add the various protections
> > necessary. For example when the next exploit comes out which affects the
> > vm syscalls I'd prefer a loadable module fix. (this is speaking as an
> > occasional admin with production boxes kicking around that we rely upon
> > not needed to be rebooted every 5 minutes - i.e. most so called "real
> > world" users).
>
> In these "unusual" cases, it is still usually possible to find a way how
> to code quick-and-dirty hotfix LKM, preventning the exploitation of the
> bug.

I didn't argue that.

> First thing is, that even without sys_call_table[] being exported to
> modules, it is still possible to find the address where it resides, using
> some heuristics (like finding adjacent exported modules, and look for
> sys_call_table[] signature between these addresses, or even better, get it
> from known offset).

I implied that somewhere but I was probably likely to be on about
using objdump to work out the offset in the currently running kernel -
or something much much more horrible.

> Second thing is, that usually it is possible to hotfix
> those bugs even without messing with sys_call_table[]

Sure. I wasn't trying to cover all the bases, just enough to convince
people that it's not a good idea to twiddle bits of sys_call_table but
it's possible in a real emergency[0].

Cheers,

Jon.

[0] Try ever doing that on a Windows 2000-and-shite+ server.