From: kernelnewbies-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:kernelnewbies-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Zeeshan Ali
Sent: Thursday, September 30, 2004 11:17 PM
To: kernelnewbies@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: how does kernel know?

Hello,

Mr. Patrick,
   I think you took my comments personally, but let me tell you that
it was'nt in any way directed to you and (which i should have admited
in my comments) SOME people (including you) did get my point and
answered it well. I am quite thankfull for your help.

Mr. Dhiman,

> You are taking it a wrong way, the driver module is not loaded at the
> time when the device file is opened by the application (I think you
are
> taking it this way).

     But what i told you was a practical experience. On my fedora core
2 box in the office, for several times, I rmmoded parport, parport_pc
and lp modules  and checked through lsmod if they did actually got
removed, they sure did. But they used to get loaded automatically when
I used to open /dev/lp0. If you have problems believing this, I can
give you a shell access to my system tomorow morning :) Thanks for the
help.