Re: Bigger slabs

On Thu, Sep 23, 2004 at 09:47:57AM +0200, Leonid Podolny wrote:
> On Thu, 23 Sep 2004, Alexander Nyberg wrote:
>
> >Are you really sure you need 1MB of contigous space? I don't know driver
> >writing very well but that sounds awfully large. If it is a driver with
> >open source maybe you should talk to people who know their things and
> >present the problem, you didn't say what kind of driver it is.
> >
> No, regretfully, it's not open-source and my employers are strongly
> against open sourcing it, which is dumb, since they make their money from
> selling hardware and give away drivers for free  :( The whole system just
> begs to be redesigned and rewritten from scratch.

This is more an answer for the original post but I don't have it
anymore so ...

We implemented 1 MB of slabs in the previous company I worked for due to
no virtual memory on the system (slabs was thus the only option). It
causes big problems with memory fragmentation and with embedded systems
with small memory is very unreliable with actually finding the free
memory (mostly only worked once early on startup with an 16BM memory
embedded system)

We ended up rewriting most of the code to manually break the data into
separate pages and do the linked list manually (don't remember if there
was actually anything left around that used the full 1MB)