Re: problems with kernel and network card mac address

On Mon, Sep 20, 2004 at 18:05:04 +0200, Tyler wrote:
> Linux Guy wrote:
> >Hi,
> >
> >I have a Realteck 8139 PCI fst ethernet adapter. It
> >uses the fealnx kernel module.
> >
> >I have problems changing the mac address.
> >
> >normally after boot it works correctly. but after i
> >change the mac address it doesnt respond.
> >
> >$ping xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
> ><ping reply>
> >$ifconfig eth0 down
> >$ifconfig eth0 hw ether xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx
> >$ifconfig eth0 up
> >$ping xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
> ><network host unreachable>
> >
> >This is very wierd. I had a dlink lan card and it used
> >to work properly after changing the mac address.
> >
> >Anyone knows why Realtek cards dont work after
> >changing mac address...
> >
> >I have test this on a gentoo (2.6.7 kernel), slackware
> >(2.4.26 kernel), knoppix live cd, pclinuxos live cd.
> >

> Maybe it's a cache problem. Other computers or routers on your lan have
> probably kept the old ip adress-mac adress link. Try to free the arp
> cache of your others machines.

Doubt that. Linux arp caches are pretty good. If the original MAC does
not respond, ARP request is sent very quickly.

It's quite likely, that it's really a problem in kernel. Some drivers
don't like having parameters changed after the card is first
initialized (I had similar problem with 3c509 -- to change media,
a reboot was required).

						 Jan 'Bulb' Hudec <bulb@xxxxxx>