Re: problems with kernel and network card mac address

Linux Guy wrote:
Hi,

I have a Realteck 8139 PCI fst ethernet adapter. It
uses the fealnx kernel module.

I have problems changing the mac address.

normally after boot it works correctly. but after i
change the mac address it doesnt respond.

$ping xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
<ping reply>
$ifconfig eth0 down
$ifconfig eth0 hw ether xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx
$ifconfig eth0 up
$ping xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
<network host unreachable>

This is very wierd. I had a dlink lan card and it used
to work properly after changing the mac address.

Anyone knows why Realtek cards dont work after
changing mac address...

I have test this on a gentoo (2.6.7 kernel), slackware
(2.4.26 kernel), knoppix live cd, pclinuxos live cd.

Maybe it's a cache problem. Other computers or routers on your lan have probably kept the old ip adress-mac adress link. Try to free the arp cache of your others machines.

-- Kernelnewbies: Help each other learn about the Linux kernel. Archive: http://mail.nl.linux.org/kernelnewbies/ FAQ: http://kernelnewbies.org/faq/