RE: VFS functions

Thanks Jan. A very detailed reply - the kind I was looking for.

>I believe that in Linux 2.6, there is a concept of a stackable
>filesystem. It should be somehow possible to mount a filesystem over
>another and the filesystem mounted on top should be able to access the
>filesystem below, provided it's designed to do that.
>
>In other words, I think you should NOT do it in VFS, but do it as
>a special filesystem. This filesystem would implement all the methods of
>dentry, inode and file and in these methods, redispatch to another FS
>driver (by doing manual path_walk and calling respective
>inode/dentry/file objects).

This idea seems good. I guess I will work towards this.

>It's also possible to use the coda interface to kernel and implement
>your filesystem in userland. There are libraries -- fuse and lufs --
>that will help you with that.
>
>After all, when I think of it, coda itself is quite probably a good
>solution for you, without writing a single line of code.

Yes, Coda would've worked fine except that it works in a client-server mode.
Unfortunately, with a NetApp I can't install any programs on it.

>> Does this sound like a proper and feasible design?
>
>No. That's error-prone and dirty.

Will keep that in mind.

>* intermezzo: This is similar to coda in features, but lighter in
>  implementation (it actualy uses normal http server for serving file
>  content). It is younger and thus a bit less tested. It is also
>  supported on less other OSes.

Intermezzo works in a similar manner as coda. Moreover, it polls the files
for recording changes - something I wish to avoid given the large number of
files. As I said earlier, in my testing rsync was slow not because the
volume of change of big but because it would've have to go through thousands
of files.

>* afs: This filesystem predates, and inspires, coda. It has the client
>  fully in kernel. It does not support disconnected operation. On the
>  other hand since it caches blocks and not whole files, it works better
>  real-time. It's drawback is, that the driver is not that stable. It's
>  not that bad, however. We have it in a computer lab and it works just
>  well (NFS used to be much worse), even across different systems
>  (linux, solaris, irix and windows). It is not shipped with kernel.

The mail servers serve multiple customers. Can't put unstable code in there
:)

Thanks again,

Siddhartha