Re: Help on starting a process upon power up?

On Tue, 2004-05-25 at 12:39, Ahmed A wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Can someone please suggest a way to accomplish the
> following.  (I am not necessarily looking for the
> answer, but pointer to the best approach to the
> following, suggestion of urls or books would be very
> helpful)
>
> Upon power up (at the end of power up), I would like
> to load some drivers that I have written.  Test if the
> driver loaded successfully (I know how to do this).
> If successful, update a file (like a counter).  Then
> reboot automatically.  I would like to do this about
> 100 times.

I would make a script (bash is good enough) that loads all my drivers
(insmod - modprobe) and if successful, increment the counter and write
to counter.txt (or any file really).
To know if the driver was was loaded ok, you could printk (in the init
fuction) some symbol (anything really, it's up to you).

> Do I need to use cron for this?  If so, how and where
> do I place the code?
>
> Or do I just need to change the boot up script?  If
> so, how and where?

This is really not the best solution, but It'll do :).

> Thanks in advance,
> Ahmed.

Dave