Help on starting a process upon power up?

Hi,

Can someone please suggest a way to accomplish the
following.  (I am not necessarily looking for the
answer, but pointer to the best approach to the
following, suggestion of urls or books would be very
helpful)

Upon power up (at the end of power up), I would like
to load some drivers that I have written.  Test if the
driver loaded successfully (I know how to do this).
If successful, update a file (like a counter).  Then
reboot automatically.  I would like to do this about
100 times.

Do I need to use cron for this?  If so, how and where
do I place the code?

Or do I just need to change the boot up script?  If
so, how and where?

Thanks in advance,
Ahmed.